Protestor dead in Venezuela unrest

Written By: James Douglas
Published: April 21, 2017 Last modified: April 21, 2017

A teenage demonstrator was one of two killed during growing unrest in Venezuela, as the country’s political and economic crisis deepens.

The 14-year-old boy and another protester were shot dead in the western city of Barquisimeto, and the local governor blamed armed government supporters. A week earlier two students were killed during protests.

Nicolas Maduro’s presidency has come under increasing pressure as the economy suffers and opponents accuse him of creating a dictatorship.

The latest anti-government demonstrations were sparked by a decision to bar opposition leader Henrique Capriles from holding public office for 15 years.

he dead teenager was identified as Brayan Principal (pictured) by opposition MP Alfonso Marquina, who said he had been shot in the abdomen. A 36-year-old man was also killed in Barquisimeto in a separate incident, the state prosecution service said.

Opposition leaders are calling for a date to be set for postponed regional elections. Maduro has resisted efforts by the opposition to hold a referendum on removing him and has vowed to continue the “socialist revolution” launched by his predecessor Hugo Chavez.